Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK (Studio Version)

Picture this...9th grade...Sunset Junior High School...I was quite the athlete. Played 3 of the 4 sports that were available for the girls. My basketball coach was Mr. Buchan. He was just out of college. Very nice guy. I was one of his favorites. We had a school newspaper and one time they had a thing where you could pay $.25 and then the newspaper would list a song for you to dedicate to someone. Well, Mr. Buchan did that. To one of my friends he dedicated the old beach song "Be young, Be foolish, but be happy". Very appropriate. What does he dedicate to me???? This song. "Anarchy in the UK"! WTF?? I never understood why this particular song was dedicated to me. I like to think that maybe he saw me as not having to follow the crowd. That I could be my own person. I will never know, but its one of the things that I REALLY wish I did know the reason why.

But I also have to say, in my yearbook,this man wrote one of the most wonderful things anyone has ever said about me. I still remember what he wrote to this day...Tamara...a beautiful name for someone who is beautiful on the inside and the outside. I've never known anyone who wanted to win so badly, yet kept in mind it was only a game. Stay free... Jim Buchan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should feel honoured Tamara, this was a song that truly started a revolution in English music. No other band has ever had record companies and the media alike running for cover in England with as much ferocity as the Sex Pistols did in the late 70's... Before or since! They were true originals and their inovation still reverberates in pop culture today.
I would take it as a compliment to have Anarchy In The U.K. dedicated to me, your teacher obviously admired and understood you very much.

Fuggle.

http://fuggle77.proboards34.com/

Tam said...

Thanks for giving me some background on the band & song. Its such an odd song to dedicate that I figured it must be a good thing. :)


Thanks again Fuggle.